Banshee
Ship stats
Depth: 27 feet
Coordinates: To be announced
Vessel Type: Wooden two-masted schooner
Length: 70 feet
Breadth: 18.4 feet
Gross Tonnage: 59
Cargo: None
Built: 1879 by William LeClair and Company at Bronte, Ontario as Maple Leaf
Former Name(s): Maple Leaf (1879-1920)
Owner at Loss: Matthew H. Knapp of Syracuse and Sackets Harbor, New York
Date Lost: September 30 or October 1, 1924
Cause of Loss: Stranded
Loss of Life: None
Historical Background
The small two-masted schooner Banshee (US 74399) was originally built as Maple Leaf (C 92436) by William LeClair and Company at Bronte, Ontario, in 1879. Maple Leaf was of modest dimensions with a length of 70 feet, a breadth of 18.4 feet, and a 5.3-foot depth of hold, measuring only 59 gross tons. Shortly after its launch, the schooner was purchased by Captain William Goldring of Toronto. William Goldring was succeeded as master of Maple Leaf by his son, Captain Richard Goldring. In all the Goldrings owned and operated Maple Leaf for 34 years.
In 1920, Richard Goldring sold Maple Leaf, having served as its master for 31 years. In late 1923, Maple Leaf was seized at Oswego while unloading a cargo of ale in violation of Prohibition.
In 1923, Maple Leaf was purchased for $500 at a Sheriff's auction by Matthew H. Knapp of Syracuse and Sackets Harbor, proprietor of the resort at Storr’s Harbor. In Spring 1924, Knapp refitted the vessel as a private yacht, renaming the schooner Banshee.
On September 30 or October 1, 1924, Banshee was anchored in White’s Bay at the southwestern corner of Henderson Harbor, the crew having gone into Syracuse. During the night, a southwesterly gale swept the lake, and Banshee dragged anchor, drifting to leeward before going aground along the leeward shore, south of Horse Island.
Wreck Site
Site photo model of Banshee. Photo:Ben Ioset/NOAA
The wreck consists of the partial remains of a schooner that are broken and low-lying, resting in approximately 30 feet of water. The remains on the site are a 73.5-foot-long and 8.8-foot-wide section of the vessel’s portside.
A bottom section of hull, measuring approximately 20 feet long by 7 feet wide, lies beside the port side. This section consists of frames, bottom planking, and ceiling planking. It remains unclear whether additional buried fragments of the hull are present.
Banshee was first located by Mr. Daniel Gildea and subsequently documented by NOAA and the University of Delaware in 2022 using a side scan sonar. The site was investigated by NOAA divers in August 2024 and June 2025.

